[Vtigercrm-developers] Upgrading bootstrap 2 to bootstrap 3

Błażej Pabiszczak b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
Tue Aug 9 09:08:10 GMT 2016

In order to understand the problem it's best to face it :] The migration
outline provided by bootstrap [http://getbootstrap.com/migration/] is
the very beginning of all problems, because elements in this outline can
be partially done automatically [not always though]. You should remember
that the system itself has hundreds of tpl files, that apart from
migration to newer versions should also be fixed, because they aren't
created in accordance to such standards as HTML and CSS.

When we manage to deal with the basic migration, then we stumble upon JS
problems with jQuery, jQuery-ui, select2, chosen - among others. We had
huge problems with select2 because at the time when we migrated, it had
a ton of opened issues [some of them are still valid now], so the
bootstrap update also required our broad knowledge of JS, to be able to
fix the flaws in the libraries. Especially that Vtiger interfered in
libraries [and it shouldn't have].

The next problematic thing were modal windows, because they are loaded
differently in different places, and we had to find them, fix them, and
test them. There were also numerous errors that don't apply to you, for
example with the menu, because our menu works differently than yours.

Generally it's a lot of work. If you have a good HTML/CSS/JS/PHP
developer then a month should be enough. You just have to remember that
the main problem isn't the system update. The main problem will be
cooperation with Vtiger [question is whether they'll accept huge changes
like this, since they want to change the appearance in Vtiger 7], if
Vtiger doesn't upload these changes, then you will have to create an
independent fork, because each modification of TPL or other files won't
follow the new standard.

---
Z poważaniem / Regards

BŁAŻEJ PABISZCZAK
_Chief Executive Officer_
M: +48.884999123
E: b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com

W dniu 2016-08-08 12:59, Sutharsan Jeganathan napisał(a):

> Hi
>
> Thanks.   I thought just find and replacing Bootstrap classes would be enough. If you had to do more than that please share few points. It would be useful to have this information personally to me as well as the community when anyone try to do  an upgrading patch/script.
>
> Thanks Sutharsan Jeganathan
>
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Błażej Pabiszczak <b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com> wrote:
>
> We did it a year ago as far as I remember, on the 6.3 version [right now we got Bootstrap 3.3.5]. It took weeks of work, because many JS had to be rewritten, because Vtiger directly interfered with them. I hope the person who fixes it in Vtiger does it well enough, so that this time it won't interfere with the Bootstrap library, like it does now. In our system updating Bootstrap to newer versions takes several minutes.
>
> ---
> Z poważaniem / Regards
>
> BŁAŻEJ PABISZCZAK
> _Chief Executive Officer_
> M: +48.884999123 [1]
> E: b.pabiszczak at yetiforce.com
>
> W dniu 2016-08-08 06:19, Sutharsan Jeganathan napisał(a):
>
> HI
>
> Have anyone done this for the version below 6.4?  Is there any easier tool to migrate from bootstrap 2 to 3 rather than following guidelines here [2]
>
> Thanks Sutharsan Jeganathan

http://www.vtiger.com/

Links:
------