[Vtigercrm-developers] about new template manager (Vtiger 6.4)

makeyourcloud info at makeyourcloud.com
Sat Nov 7 12:46:25 GMT 2015

Hi Prasad,

I agree with the others about the importance of a fallback solution to
manage the views for custom modules,

In my opinion (and this is what we had done with our layouts), the vtiger
viewer should pick anyway the files from the vlayout dir if the needed files
are not availables in the custom layout, so the layout developer could find
an alternative way to make the missing view looking well just using custom
css rules.

As layout developers we could create new layouts customizing just the needed
files, for example to create a new layout with just a different navigation
bar we could create a simple layout structure with just few files, I think
for this simple purpose it would be fine to edit just Header and MenuBar and
add the needed js code in the application file.

In this way we will work anyway using the core vtiger layout, and if someone
would for example develop a new layout using a different css framework (eg
bootstrap3 or foundation) it would be a developer choice to adapt the custom
module views (eg redefining the missing boostrap2 classes in the css) or
create new views adapted for his layout.

About your questions:

1 - If we still have the vlayout resources as fallback  files, we can simply
choose what file need to change and it would be competence of the layout
developer to check that the modified/added files are not corrupted and not
cause conflict with other files

2 - The layout developer should consider the option to change framework and
in this case should create a totally different layout structure, replacing
all the core vtiger files in his layout but choosing a solution for custom
modules as explained above

3 - Yes it should.

4 - No, the list view should exactly fallback to the vlayout listview for
the  current module (if present) or to the generic vtiger listview, and all
files should follow this behavior.

Hope this reply will help you understand our needs, and possibly inspire the
vtiger team to a new solution for  this.

Kind Regards,
Federico Bempensato,
MakeYourCloud Development Team - http://www.makeyourcloud.com