[Vtigercrm-developers] Licensing Discussion [Was: Re: [NEW!] [RELEASED!] VTIGER 6.X THEME - MOBILE OPTIMIZED - by MYC!!!]

Hamono, Chris (DPC) Chris.Hamono at sa.gov.au
Thu Jul 2 03:54:50 GMT 2015

I do not know why you are arguing with me because it appears you agreed with what I said. Perhaps it's because you didn't actually read what I said and instead read what you THINK I said.

I provided a link to the GPL licence. And I stated MYC's portal does not appear to use GPL code in which case changing the license would be appropriate.

I also stated that once released under the GPL all code releases under that licence must be honoured but that they could change the licence for future releases.

My statement about the new licence cannot replace the old licence is exactly what you said here...

"The owner/copyright holder of any of _their_ _own_ code can change the license whenever they like. They can't "take back" an old version if it was GPL and someone else has a copy obviously, but they can release new versions under a different license. (Look at Alfresco, OpenOffice, Odoo... There are countless examples of licenses being changed by the copyright holder)."

So unless you think your own statement is incorrect your words don't make sense.

But hey I'll clean up my statement for you so you can understand it better because clearly you did not read the paragraph before it.

"It's a complicated area my understanding is one cannot create a licence which RETROSPECTIVALLY overrules a previous license."

Is that better Alan?

As for linking.

Perhaps you are not aware. There is a special exception for the OS. linking to the OS is allowed under the GPL so NVidia drivers are fine. Commercial software is fine. That exception does not extend to other GPL Software. For example you cannot link the older mysql client to your non GPL application (the new mysql client has exceptions).

This is known as a combined work.
" Linking ABC statically or dynamically with other modules is making a combined work based on ABC. Thus, the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License cover the whole combination."
Quoted from..
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html

MYC are in my opinion in breach of their own licence. I suggest they change it.

Anyone with a current paid for MYC theme, can by virtue of MYC's own licence redistribute it.

Chris