[Vtigercrm-developers] [NEW!] [RELEASED!] VTIGER 6.X THEME - MOBILE OPTIMIZED - by MYC!!!

Hamono, Chris (DPC) Chris.Hamono at sa.gov.au
Wed Jul 1 01:44:22 GMT 2015

Sorry Alan you are mistaken

vtiger uses parts which are GPL. GPL insists that if you use one line of code from it the GPL extends to all code.

That's the entire purpose of the GPL you can't pick and choose your interpretation, if some of the code is GPL and your code uses it (even by linking) then your code MUST be released under the terms of the GPL. It is a quite restrictive license and I have argued against its use in the past.

Vtiger does also comply with the GPL by making its source available AND redistributable. MYC themes on the other hand does not, it adds an exclusion which breaches the GPL.

The question is does the MYC portal *REALLY* use GPL. According to this document it does...
https://github.com/makeyourcloud/myc-vtiger-customer-portal/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT

I have taken a further look and as far as I can tell MYC does not use other GPL'd code (or at least doesn't admit to it)

If that's the case then the MYC group only needs to change the portal license to their own licence and there will no longer be an issue. However they cannot change it retrospectivally. This means because they stated the portal is GPL so must the existing themes be!

It's a complicated area my understanding is one cannot create a licence which overrules a previous license.

Chris