[Vtigercrm-developers] Question on Role based Picklists

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 09:07:54 GMT 2015

On 16/02/15 08:25, Uma S wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> We have raised a ticket
> <http://trac.vtiger.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8471> for this issue in
> trac, will look into this.

lol - you know things are getting bas when you wake up dreaming about
vtiger!!!!

I've been thinking about this Role-based Picklist question some more.

To recap, our customer wants all users to be able to see what a picklist
value is set to, but not to be able to set it to certain values based on
their role...

The way the user interface works now is a bit messy and inconsistent
depending on the view you are in.

I had two thoughts about possible solutions when I woke up dreaming
about this:

1. When a user views a record he sees the value the Picklist is set to.
When he clicks on the field to edit it, he sees all the picklist values
he is permitted to see by his role *plus* the current value the record
is set to. This means he can change it to whatever he is allowed to, but
can also handle the problem when he clicked by accident and wants to
leave it as it was. (This is not possible right now)

2. When a user views a record he sees the value the Picklist is set to.
When he clicks on the field to edit it there is a new event handler
added that fires on first focus. It shows a popup telling the user that
they won't be able to change the picklist to certain values, including
the one that is current and he is given the option to cancel or continue.

Personally I prefer 1. It seems much more intuitive and less annoying
for the user...

Thoughts, comments?

Cheers