[Vtigercrm-developers] Looking for best approach to change the URL field appearance. Hack the core or develop a module?

Preexo preexo at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:28:45 GMT 2015

I want to change the URL ui appearance. Everytime the URL is actually
pointing to an image, the image should be displayed directly inside the crm.

I could achieve this by hacking the ui directly:
Adding a few lines in the function *getDisplayValue* in
/modules/Vtiger/uitypes/Url.php/ which check if the value is a image and
then do a *img* tag instead of the anchor tag. Quite easy, but I consider
this to be very very dirty. Next update of vtiger possibly overwrites all
those changes, a maintenance nightmare if there are more than one changes.

So far I have always done this when I needed stuff like this. But I was
wondering if there is actually a prettier way of doing it. Are the vtiger
extensions of any use for that?
I can't find much on the topic of changing the appearance of something
existing in vtiger.

Any hint or experience with something like this would be very very much
appreciated! Thanks in advance!