[Vtigercrm-developers] Upgrade from 5.3

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:51:54 GMT 2015

On 20/04/15 09:35, Matt Bracewell wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> There has been much discussion here on upgrade scripts over the years
> and many examples of partial upgrades due to (silent) execution timeout etc.
>
> Is there any decent documentation on multi-version upgrades? Advice on
> best practice, ideas for testing, command line tools etc, etc etc.

This is not straightforward.

The web-based migration generally works for small databases and/or you
will get an error when something goes wrong :-)

However for bigger databases the web-based scripts suck. They almost
always time out and die silently :-(

When going from 5 to 6 you really need to "fix" the database beforehand
to prevent the migration script trying to create and population the new
crmentity label column - the migration code is incredibly slow and
inefficient. (I have posted in here before an alternative script that
reduced the time from >10 hours to a few minutes.)

If you have PBXManager beware going from 6.1. to 6.2 - the script to
migrate the PBXManager table doesn't really do anything as far as I can
tell and again takes eons to do it... I have also commented on this in
this list before.

Documentation? Not that I have found.

Best practice? One step at a time, keep your fingers and toes crossed,
keep notes on what you do.

HTH