[Vtigercrm-developers] VAT changes and the marketplace

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 13:40:47 GMT 2014

On 25/11/14 13:25, Sreenivas Kanumuru wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Thanks for bringing attention to this important matter. Fortunately,
> there isn't much cause for concern.
yes, certainly not as bad as it could be because it isn't consumer sales

> Marketplace sales are made by Vtiger (USA entity) to customers. Vtiger
> buys from Publisher, and then sells to customer. So, for the
> publisher, there is only one customer which is Vtiger USA. Since, the
> publisher is selling to Vtiger USA, my understanding is that even
> EU-based publishers don't have to pay any VAT taxes,
the problem is that they are now looking at where the final user is, it
is called "use and enjoyment"! So, they can look at the whole chain and
determine that the digital goods ended up being consumed in the EU, by a
consumer (or non-registered business) so we have to prove that didn't
happen.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vatpossmanual/vatposs15100.htm

> For keeping records, Vtiger collects the business name, country, and
> Tax ID when customers purchase via the marketplace. So far, all our
> purchases have been by businesses. Sales to consumers are going to be
> quite rare, and the total sales to consumers within a country will be
> below the 100,000 Euros limit (per year) for the near future.
this is great, I think EU publishers might need this info (in particular
VAT numbers) at some stage, but as long as it is being captured and we
are not selling to anyone without a VAT number then I think it is OK.