[Vtigercrm-developers] Cooperation - part 2

Mutuku Ndeti jnmutuku at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:35:41 GMT 2014

Let me start by saying thank you for the work done with vtiger

I would like to add my voice here too. A few years ago (when the motto was
"The only truly open source CRM" ), I tried forming a business around
implementing CRM solutions for clients.

My first implementation, with some customization (5.0) wowed the client
(who had been using excel sheets and had failed in trying out customizing
sugarcrm).

After that it was a uphill task due to lack of documentation / community
support / Road Map. I was not confident about direction /  documentation,
so I gave up, changed the business and started implementing drupal solution
(more open active community). I even implemented basic crm using it. I like
the drupal model (they have the commercial Acquia and the very open source
drupal). There is a lot of documentation and freedom. I don't mind donating
to the community because my business is fully founded on drupal solutions.

That said, I keep coming back and testing vtiger because I see a local
market for custom CRMs. What I find every time is that Vtiger is becoming
more closed that open.

To cut the long story short :-

1. I think there should be a clear road map (so that users /  integrators
are not left in the dark). With every "curveball", Vtiger looses users / a
market
2. I think Vtiger should adopt a fully open source model (with some form of
governance). I really like the drupal model (where there is a "core" and
users build modules around it. From time to time, the governance decides
what should be included in core)  You can an have a commercial offshoot (We
all need to pay the bills)
3. Different markets require specific customizations. I would suggest
having a  "core" crm engine and let the community build modules around it,
given different business scenarios

thanks

Tel:254- 722-490994
www.agile.co.ke | www.jipambe.com