[Vtigercrm-developers] Can I do these things without core hacks?

Richard Hills richard at tw.co.nz
Wed Jul 2 20:51:48 GMT 2014

Although it is true that the time needs to be weighed, in any
development work which I do I will always try to work within the
framework in order to avoid issues in the future.

Basically I need a way to override functions from core modules with
functions defined in my own modules. I have only seen an extension
module which registers an event for a module, is it actually able to use
this same system to override a method inside of an existing module?

Feedback from the vtiger team would be much appreciated, I am sure you
can confirm if such an override is possible.

Thanks

On 01/07/14 19:09, Alan Lord wrote:

> I should think you could achieve these by not having to modify core
> files, but you need to weigh up the time it would take to develop and
> extension module to override the normal behaviour vs a quick hack to a
> file...
>
> Once I've done with migrating GeoTools to 6.1 I want to take a look at
> the tool David V provided on here called JSValidation (which we've
> modified a bit since then). This is for 5.4.0 and will probably need
> to be completely re-written for the v6 architecture but the approach
> it took was rather clever and has enabled us to write fairly arbitrary
> validation rules for any module without core hacks.
>
> Cheers
>
> Al
>
> On 30/06/14 22:54, Richard Hills wrote:
>> I needed to edit the following two functions within the core of vtiger
>> in order to allow users to only select specific tickets when editing
>> their entries (this is a time booking system where tickets need to be in
>> a specific status to allow time to be booked on them).
>>
>> modules/HelpDesk/models/Module.php function getQueryByModuleField
>> modules/Vtiger/models/Record.php function getSearchResult
>>
>> I'm just wondering if there is a way for me to do this without changing
>> the core files?
>>
>> Likewise I edited the campaigns module so I could add a link to a
>> mailing list sync module in the more dropdown, is there some way to just
>> add this via an api call?
>> modules/Campaigns/models/DetailView.php function getSearchResult
>>
>> Thanks

Richard Hills
TechnologyWise Ltd, Tauranga, NZ
richard at tw.co.nz