[Vtigercrm-developers] description field in vtiger_crmentity

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 12:25:08 GMT 2014

Hi all,

We have a customer with quite a lot of emails in their system, about
1700 of them have hit the 65535 length limit of the TEXT datatype of the
description field in crmentity. These are mostly back and forth threads
with lots of over use of reply with history and some are full of
microsoft office formatting markup.
It strikes me that the central crmentity table is about the last place
that the body of emails should be stored, I would expect that the fact
that this key table grows to gigabytes in size would cause performance
issues and this data would be better off in the vtiger_emaildetails
table or a completely separate table of email body fields. I am going to
modify the crmentity table on their instance to change that to a
MEDIUMTEXT which can take rather huge amounts of text if required with:
ALTER TABLE vtiger_crmentity MODIFY description MEDIUMTEXT;

however I think it would be good if that field was changed by default to
something bigger than TEXT and it would be good to consider not having
it in crmentity

Alan.

--
Libertus Solutions