[Vtigercrm-developers] php 5.3 End of Life

Alan Bell alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:58:43 GMT 2014

basically no drama at all, I forgot to chown the installation directory
to www-data: which left me looking at a blank page for some time (that
really would be a nice place for a more informative error message) but
that was nothing to do with the PHP version. After that, with the normal
relevant dependencies and settings made, it just worked.
I have just installed it (vtiger 6.0.0) again on Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty,
not yet released) on PHP 5.5.8 and it just worked. I don't know if
*everything* works, but I see the modules, clicking about things works,
I can create and save an organisation etc. I could even upload an
attachment and download it again, which I would think would be an area
where things might have changed enough to break stuff, but it hasn't.

My recommendation would be to have a bit of a collaborative bug hunt on
5.4 and 5.5, fix anything that breaks and then make those supported
versions of PHP. There will still be deprecated functions that it is
using, fixing all that would be a slightly bigger job, but deprecated
functions are there to support legacy codepaths, you just shouldn't use
them on new code and should consider rewriting old code. It isn't
horrific to use deprecated functions when you have existing code that
uses them.

Alan.

On 16/01/14 00:23, Prasad wrote:
> Alan,
>
> I'm curious about the "very little drama" can you share some insights.
>
> Regards,
> Prasad
>
> *Connect with us on: *Twitter <http://twitter.com/vtigercrm> *I*
> Facebook
> <http://www.facebook.com/pages/vtiger/226866697333578?sk=wall> *I*
> Blog <https://blogs.vtiger.com/>* I* Wiki
> <http://wiki.vtiger.com/index.php/Main_Page> *I *Forums
> <https://discussions.vtiger.com>*I* Website <https://www.vtiger.com/>
>

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Alan Bell <alan.bell at libertus.co.uk
> <mailto:alan.bell at libertus.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I got vtiger 6 running on a Raspberry Pi with PHP 5.4.4-14+deb7u5
>     with very little drama. It seems to work fine, however the
>     performance is unsurprisingly a bit too sluggish for real use.
>
>     Alan.
>

>     On 14/01/14 10:20, Marcin Derlukiewicz wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         php 5.3 is on end of life cycle and is going to be dropped
>         very soon.
>         When will vtiger start to support newer versions of php?
>
>         Regards,
>         Marcin Derlukiewicz
>         http://www.vtiger.com/
>

>     --