[Vtigercrm-developers] VT6 RC

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 10:57:17 UTC 2013

On 13/09/13 11:39, Sreenivas Kanumuru wrote:
> Alan, I am not quite familiar with Thunderbird and other clients. Please
> clarify this
>
>     /Please note that Thunderbird and Outlook can use ONE smtp service,
>     but be configured for multiple IMAP accounts and it just works.../
>

> When you have multiple IMAP acounts, which one of it is the sent email
> put in?

The one you are using at the time you create the email. (I guess it
could use the sending email address to match but I'm not certain on that
- normally when you create an email you choose which account you want to
send it from either deliberately or by simply being *in* one the accounts).

In TB you can configure, for each account, where you want *copies* of
emails you send to be placed... See attached.

I'm a user, I go enter Mail Manager to create a new email. I chose who
I'm going to send the mail to and press send.

What every email client I am familiar with seems to do at this point is
to simply *copy* the email into the IMAP Outbox(or equivalent) until the
SMTP service says the message was sent properly. Then it moves that
message to the Sent folder.

I don't think you really need to bother with the interim step; the
outbox. Just don't stick a copy into the sent folder until the smtp send
has completed successfully.

I think the only thing that might need a configuration option is to
chose/set the name of the "Sent" folder for each user in the Mail
Manager settings. By default Sent would probably cover 90% of everyone,
but I don't believe IMAP cares what it is called, it's just another
folder so perhaps people may call it different things. FWIW I've *never*
needed to change the name of the sent folder destination for any of the
9 IMAP email accounts I have configured in Thunderbird.

Cheers