[Vtigercrm-developers] Things we can learn from Zurmo CRM

Adam Heinz amh at metricwise.net
Wed Oct 23 20:21:28 GMT 2013

Has anybody else looked at these guys?  They don't seem to have existed
when I started this job "Zurmo Release 0.5.1 – November 7th 2011" [1].
 They seem pretty vanilla, but they do a few things right that I like, some
of which I have advocated for vtiger in the past.

* TDD + Continuous Integration [2]  Check out all the build boxes they have
running in various configurations.  Windows IIS vs Linux Apache, Memcache
on/off, etc etc.  We've actually gone to the effort here of building up an
SeBuilder + PHPUnit + Bamboo test environment and are moving towards TDD
irrespective of vtiger.

* Community involvement [3]  They recruit contributors into development
teams based on their expertise.  Looking at their BitBucket feed [4], they
are actively engaged with these people as well.  In the narrow time frame I
glanced at, I saw a third party developer submit a pull request [5] for
some SIP changes, get constructive criticism seven hours later, and it
looks likely that his pull request will be accepted!  I am genuinely
excited on behalf of that guy!

* Framework utilization [6]  Their about page lists jQuery, Yii Framework,
and RedBeanPHP as their JS, MVC and ORM libraries.  Smaller codebase =
faster development.  I'm a big believer in off-the-shelving everything
except the secret sauce.

[1] http://zurmo.org/roadmap
[2] http://build.zurmo.com/
[3] http://zurmo.org/get-involved