[Vtigercrm-developers] What should be the best approach, customize Contacts or develop new module?

possebon possebon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 19:09:22 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I’m looking for someone that could give me some tips about the best
approach in my vTigerCRM implementation.

I looked at Contacts module and most of fields existing there do not fit my
needs.  I know that I can create custom fields, but the amount of custom
fields would be greater than 30 fields.

Some existing fields, I would like to change the way that it’s used. For
example: in our scenario, the Contact name will be only 1 field. The module
has 2 fields: First Name and Last Name.

I could not find a way to disable the First Name field.

Some existing fields on Contacts module would be changed (renaming the
labels) using some language file, although this will work for a user
perspective, in my developer perspective sounds inappropriate.

I have concerns too about the evolution of vTiger versions. If I
change/customize the Contacts module, I think that I’ll have issues when
updating/migrating vTiger to newer versions.

The new entity would have most of relationships that Contacts actually has
i.e. Activity (monitor mails sent, incoming calls, outgoing calls), Lead
conversion, Opportunities, and so on.

I'm really worried about which way to go. If someone could comment this
I’ll be grateful.

Best regards,