[Vtigercrm-developers] Bug with german "Umlaut" in Contact or Company-Names

Holbok István holbok at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:05:39 PST 2011

Dear Gabriel,

It is a typical error when charset encoding is not set correctly during
the install. *_It is not a vtiger bug_*.

Please check first in the phpmyadmin the database charset. The default
sql chartset is latin1_swedish_ci .
It is not too good if you would like to use all German Characters.

The best choice is utf8_general_ci (it will handle all öüóo"úéáu"í
ÖÜÓO"ÚÉÁU"Í äÄ ß ? ? ? ? í Í s, t, r(  etc.  - even the all Central and
East European characters )

1. You should reinstall all vtiger instance using the right utf8 sql
database in the background.
2. If it need you should convert all language files for the German
localization from iso-8859-1 to the utf8 (without boom). The Notepad++
program is very good for this purpose.
3. Use UTF-8 charset in importing - exporting data.

It works even for the Hungarian vtiger (and we have a little bit more
strange characters then you) :-) .

Cheers:

Holbok István
telefon: +3670-342-0900