[Vtigercrm-developers] Ideas and suggestions please?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Tue May 18 00:45:25 PDT 2010

One of the most annoying bugs in the Thunderbird extension for me and my
customers is how, if the session times out, you have to re-save the
vtiger configuration settings to trigger a fresh login attempt.

I'd really like to fix this so that, as with all my email accounts, I do
not have to repeatedly login.

I've been thinking about how to achieve this and am not sure of the
"right" approach.

When we login using the REST API, we get a token. This token has a
lifetime, which I believe we can capture and store. When any new
transaction occurs (within the lifetime of the current token) across the
REST API, I believe the lifetime of the token is then extended.

The TB extension is written in javascript and I am not sure that we can
spawn a thread to run a timer so that we can trigger an event before the
token expires if nothing else has happened.

Could I just check to see if the token has expired (time elapsed) and if
so, go through the login process again? This means I have to add a test
before *every* API call (seems like a lot of overhead to me?).

I'm not really a professional programmer and am unsure of the best way
to deal with this.

Ideas and suggestions most welcome.

Cheers

Al