[Vtigercrm-developers] Webmail seems a bit wrong?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 00:25:09 PDT 2009

On 11/10/09 12:51, Stephen Mack wrote:
> I don't see technically how the system could place a "copy" in your sent
> folder unless it used that same exact system to "send" the email.  Since
> you are using another server to send the email, the best it can do is CC
> your system with a copy.

Well it is using the "same system".

When I use Thunderbird, it talks to my MUA server using IMAP (Dovecot)
and our MTA using SMTP. If I use a different computer (like my netbook
when I am on the road, over a 3G network) with TB or Evolution for
example exactly the same thing happens. Sent mails go in my sent folder
with the correct "to" address.

When I configure the vtiger webmail interface it also uses IMAP to talk
to the MUA and SMTP for the MTA.

All folders on my IMAP MUA are stored on the server so each and any
client I use remain synchronised.

Unless I'm missing something here, I can't see any difference between a
desktop application using IMAP/SMTP and a web client using IMAP/SMTP. In
fact I have set up a webmail system using the Horde before, and that
wrote sent emails to the right place.

Alan