[Vtigercrm-developers] Mail could not be sent to the admin user. Please check the admin emailid/Server settings

Andrew Rodes arodes at onweald.com
Mon Aug 3 11:10:16 PDT 2009

Well we have run into this one from time to time when trying to set outbound
server info. There are a ton of different things that may cause this, but I
thought I would share the most recent one that I uncovered. Forums are in
maintenance, so I thought I would at least post it here.

We have a customer using siteground for email, but siteground doesn't allow
you to send email "on behalf" of anyone else. So in other words, the "from"
account must be an account on your outbound mail server at siteground.

However, we had a situation with a customer with outside sales reps, and one
of which was acting as an admin. So , he tried setting the outbound server
settings with the email server information for the company's main siteground
server. Unfortunately every time he did this, he got the imfamous error:
Mail could not be sent to the admin user. Please check the admin
emailid/Server settings.

So, after some debugging using console smtp, we discovered siteground was
returning an error along the lines of, "we don't allow you to send email
from someone not on this server". However, vtiger was simply recording the
generic vtiger "email is busted" error. (it would be nice if vtiger could
trap and report the actual email server response verbiage. Would have saved
hours debugging this)

Anyway, in order to set the outgoing email server settings, he had to go to
his preferences, and change his user email to an email address that existed
on the actual outgoing server. Sadly, he cannot send emails from vtiger with
his real email as vtiger always ( rightfully so) says the "from" is the
logged in user's email address, but siteground refuses that so the send
email function returns an error.

So, 2 enhancement requests  .. in order to have more flexibility with user
email addresses, and to do better error reporting:

1. return the actual smtp server response in the log file, not just generic
error messages.
2. Allow individual users to set up outgoing server information so that
users with email addresses from different outgoing servers can still send
email from vTiger.

Andy

Andy Rodes
Onweald Inc.