[Vtigercrm-developers] vtiger contribution question

Gopal gopals at vtiger.com
Tue May 1 21:19:25 PDT 2007

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your interest in vtiger CRM project.

Please see my response below  (in blue color)

Jorge Torres wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First I want to tell you developers that I admire your work. I first
> downloaded vtiger a few days ago, for customer relationship management
> at my uncles little ceramic factory, and I was amazed, but after I
> showed it to him, well, it seems that it is too much for what my uncle
> wants.
*
Gopal:* From the Security settings module, you can disable
modules/fields that are not required. Please get back to me if you need
any further clarifications.
> I love PHP, and I thought that I could minimize it to what at this
> moment I need, and in near future add more AJAX to it. I know that may
> differ a lot from what vtiger golas might be, therefore I want to
> start a new project at sourceforge.net <http://sourceforge.net> based
> on vtigerCRM 5.
*
Gopal:* Down the road, we are planning to make vtiger CRM - fully
customizable so that business users configure the vtiger system instead
of hacking the code. Could you please post your goals,  so that we will
cross-check our road map and let you know our position?
> I don't understand to much about Open Source Licencing restrictions
> and related stuff, so please excuse my ignorance. My question are:
*
Gopal:* vtiger CRM code base contains our _*own contributions*_ and many
third-party packages. Our own contributions are released under _vtiger
Public License (based on Mozilla Public License)_. Please refer to the
following URL for details about licenses of  third-party packages:

http://wiki.vtiger.com/index.php/Third_Party_Software

> Can I start a new project at sourceforge based on vtiger?
*
Gopal:* In general there are no issues in forking open source projects,
provided you are not violating the Open Source license of your predecessor.
> If so, Would I have to cover it under some other new license type?
*Gopal:* Release your contributions under some Open Source license which
meets your requirements.
> Do I need some permit from vtiger team to start such project?
*
Gopal:* _vtiger CRM code base_ is 100% open source by spirit. Hence you
may not require special permission from our side.
> I know about removing logos because of trademarks, what else do I have
> to remove? *
> *
*
Gopal:* Kindly review the vtiger and other third-party licenses with
your Legal adviser (council) before modifying back-end/front-end code base.

On a separate note, our community is actively participating in vtiger
development. Most of the community members
(developers/testers/writers/translators) are directly contributing  to
the core code base (For example: PostgreSQL & DMS branches in our SVN).

http://vtiger.fosslabs.com

We are also encouraging many add-on projects based on vtiger CRM, which
cater to the need of user-specific requirements. For more details,
please refer to our vtigerForge:

http://vtigerforge.com

Best wishes,
Gopal