[Vtigercrm-developers] How to achieve modularization in vtiger?

Joe Bordes joe at tsolucio.com
Tue Jun 19 14:37:31 PDT 2007

Hi Richie,

Yes, me again. You knew I was going to answer, right? :-))

Having already seen the code and the implications of modularization of
vtigerCRM I would focus this goal in a very pratical way.

- I would start by trying to create a new module for vtigerCRM and watch
myself all the way.
- Every step should be studied and the implicated files/code must be
marked to be changed so it can be module independent and parameters
added to a new Admin-Module-Control-Section
- Once all the code dependencies detected we must decide the best way to
make them independent and clean up the code
- All parameters should be coupled together in a plugin.xml file who's
structure must be documented.
- Once we have an easy way to plugin a module I would grab the fantastic
work that has already been done on the forge-module project and modifiy
it to adapt to the new situation.
- With this and a new section to help install/uninstall modules we
should get a preatty good module control with a grphical interface to
create/install/uninstall modules.

I discard the options of making big structural changes and spending a
lot of time looking how others have done it because I don't wan't to
break any of the currently working modules while we spend the next 6
months talking of how wonderful it is going to be. vtigerCRM's code base
is too tightly coupled to try and make a "different" kind of module
control. You might just as well start from scratch and build it with
modularity in mind.

The only other thing I would change is the activity dependency you have
in the code. It is terrible and makes it very difficult to add different
types of tasks/activities. This would also benefit those modules
(tsprojects) that need to add these kind of features.

Obviously you know I have been waiting for this opportunity for a very
long time and I have been on your back for just as much time. I firmly
believe that this is the most important thing vtigerCRM needs right now
and I am willing to help.

I can be more concise in the details if you need me to be.

As before (always) I am waiting for you to contact me.

Regards, Joe
TSolucio