[Vtigercrm-developers] Some questions regarding vtiger

J Zakhar john at tantor.com
Tue Feb 6 10:53:59 PST 2007

Some background information first;

I was hired to modify and add to this application specific features and
functions to make it viable for the business here. One of them is a
basic quickbooks replacement (with out floating asset accounts).

Now when we originally looked at this, it looked pretty solid. Invoices
and Purchase orders were there, hey we have a good building block. But
that is really not the case.. Where is the value in an Invoice if you
cannot account for a return ? Or basic accounting functions, being able
to take payments on invoice(s) and resolve them with customer accounts.
I understand this is not an ERP application, but why even have an
invoice/product module if you cant work a sale from start to finish to
possible return ?

Maybe I am missing the big picture, it's happened before; but this makes
no sense. There is no field in an account for money owed to the seller.
No way to store check numbers (by default, yes I am aware of the custom
fields...)

So the big question is, why do we have an Invoice module ? Just to print
a nice PDF packing list? If you have to input Invoices into vtiger, and
then quickbooks for the most basic of accounting functions, well why
even use vtiger for sales?

I have put months of work into this modding it, and today I find out
this really cant account for a return.. which means a mod to the core
application, something ive tried to avoid. So god I know people check
this list, throw me a bone, ideas, something.. Cause at the moment I am
at a loss.

I am really not trying to come off as a dick, I am frustrated, I should
have checked this months ago, I "assumed" and it bit me in the ass, its
my own fault.. I like this product. I am just curious what the target
here is, and why certain things are done the way they are.