[Vtigercrm-developers] Naming convention for language packs

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 06:59:42 PDT 2006

Gopal wrote:
> I would like to propose the following naming convention for version 5 language packs:

What is vtigercrm's definition of a language pack:

a) additional drop-in files providing a new translated language, multiple
language packs can be dropped in and selected by site config file or user
preference. vtigercrm only ships with one (or a few) language pack, for
space reduction.*

b) a localized variant of the complete vtigercrm source (e.g. substituted
strings everywhere). I don't think this is what we're talking about here.

> vtigercrm-5.0.0-<language>-<country>.zip
>
> Example: vtigercrm-5.0.0-en-us.zip

This naming convention gives the impression of b). As a release
package, all name components should be ahead of the version number
components.

if a):
      vtigercrm-lang-en-us-5.0.0.zip

if b):
      vtigercrm-localized-en-us-5.0.0.zip

This 'package name' would be 'vtigercrm-lang-en-us', and can follow the
same naming conventions and release procedures as we finalize in the trac
Wiki.

* I'm not keen on the idea of separating out language packs unless
including them wastes an unspeakable amount of space. It will be much
easier on release management to just treat translations as feature
additions, and prepare a release accordingly.

I think we should streamline the bugfix and feature release processes and
follow them uniformly for every release.