[Vtigercrm-developers] prefacing tables with vtiger_? r7003:7004

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 15:53:46 PDT 2006

The changesets r7003:7004 that rename all tables with a vtiger_ prefix is
a pretty huge change. It's an impressively ambitious search-replace to be
sure ;)

Does this address a specific issue encountered with table/variable name
conflicts? We should talk about it, you might find it easier to fix
whatever small problem arose than to change things this much while
ostensibly in beta.

Merging across the r7003:7004 boundary is effectively ruled out, of
course, so we have to pick our moment for a diff this big.

In any event, I would highly recommend using a trac ticket, and 'refs
#NNNN' in each related bugfix changeset. I can't see a change of this size
*not* introducing bugs that we'll want to track as relating to the
changeset that introduces them.

Then once 'if' is settled, there's the question of 'what' to prefix; one
could argue that the real benefit would be in prefacing a name with a
unique spelling. I presume vtiger_ would already appear in other places in
the codebase. I see that there's a lot of 'vtiger_table' in comments where
' table' previously occurred...

Finally, if keeping it a common spelling of vtiger_, why not use the
package name vtigercrm_ so that vtiger's other products could avoid
conflicts with vtigercrm tables.