[Vtigercrm-developers] list management

Nolan Andres nolan at peaceworks.ca
Mon Jun 5 10:12:50 PDT 2006

Matthew Brichacek wrote:
 > Now that 5.0 beta has been released I'd like to get started on the list
 > management and bulk mailing interfaces.  Should I create a 5.1 branch
 > for my work or do you want me on the trunk?
 >
 > FYI: this is my list for 5.1
 > 1) List management
 > 2) Bulk Mailing
 > 3) Email tracking

Not sure how much this would connect with "Email tracking," but I've
been working on some code to unify the management of "automatic emails"
that vTiger sends. Ultimately, it's designed to replace most of the
email-related communication bits of the Settings area, as well as the
current cron job scripts that send the emails in question.

At present, what I have allows admins to specify:

* emails in response to crm entity creation, change, and deletion
* emails containing scheduled reports

...and is soon to allow specification of:

* emails in response to value-related triggers (eg. inventory falls
below specified level, etc)
* emails in response to complex situations (ie. specified by a custom
function)

AutoEmail Parameters common to all types:
* specify a set of users to send the email to
* specify a set of contacts to send the email to
* specify a set of arbitrary email addresses
* specify from address
* specify (parameterized) subject and body
    - parameters include "name" and id of crm entity in question
    - "name" and id of "parent" of crm entity in question
    - user that made the change that triggered the email

...a preliminary discussion including the impetus for this work can be
found at:

http://forums.vtiger.com/viewtopic.php?p=23925

...not having looked at the 5.0 code yet, I'm not sure how well the code
I've written would fit in, but I'm certainly willing to contribute it.
It consists largely of files that go within the Settings module folder:

* an AutoEmail class
* a set of AutoEmail subclasses
* a php class called multiControl that provides a JavaScript based
interface control which makes selecting the set of users/contacts pretty
* a set of AutoEmailDetail/EditView pages (html and php)
    - using the old XTemplate stuff
* a little bit of helper JavaScript

plus some minor additions to CRMEntity.php

I think it's all been factored fairly well, but I likely made some
assumptions that would not necessarily fit with what you may want to do.
  Would there be interest in having this code contributed?

peace,
nokes