[Vtigercrm-developers] Ideas for vtiger architecture going forward

Matthew Brichacek mmbrich at fosslabs.com
Mon Jul 17 11:18:22 PDT 2006

> It is plain that as of now, there are only 2 "strong/loud" arguments.
> I am sure you all will agree that both of them are not overly
> subscribed by any majority yet.
Yes but there is only one idea on the table, and 1 set of criticisms
followed by absolutely no suggestions on how to better the first idea.
This was really my bitch about the first set of posts.

> Let us get some more ideas- however radical they be- into this list
> and then we will vote the good ideas in.
This is a great idea.  I have been looking forward to someone else
posting some ideas to get the ball rolling.  I for one welcome radical
ideas if anyone has any.

> By being too strongly worded on any particular idea, it will only stop
> short the other guys to put forth their ideas however
> miniscule/insignificant that might appear to be.
I certainly don't mean to scare off any developers that are going to
actually bring some ideas to the table, quite the contrary.  If someone
has been playing around in 5.x and said to themselves "wouldn't it be
easier if this was done like this..." then please tell us what you are
thinking, even if it doesn't involve a full change to the architecture
and only covers some small area of the code.

> I have myself faced this situations many times and I wish that the
> same does not happen here.
>
> Let us target 2 weeks from today as the time within which we should
> get all the ideas in.
Lets not rush this, or pile on top of the workload that many vtiger
devels are probably already experiencing.  The only reason I brought my
idea to the table this soon is because you and I had discussed this off
list and I thought it needed to be in front of the community.

> We can always short list as we have quite some experienced hands on
> board.
> vtigercrm-5.0.0 will be out within that time.
But after 5.0.0 is out is when I think we'll start to see the most
interesting ideas.  Many devels may still be in 4.x and haven't had a
chance yet to start playing with 5.x.  Lets let them get their hands
dirty in the new code first.

> Good to see some emotion here but I am sure we will hold to the rules
> of basic etiquettes and only wrt the point in concern.
I know I am a blunt person and sometimes that catches people off
guard :), I rarely mean to come off as rude unless someone fully
deserves it.

Anyways, bring on the ideas for improving vtiger!

Matt