[Vtigercrm-developers] An Impassioned Plea from a VTiger Integrator

Matjaz.Slak at atol.si Matjaz.Slak at atol.si
Thu Jul 13 23:42:52 PDT 2006

Hi!

If there's no one else, I volunteer to be the v4 Linus.

I have the exact same position as a lot of other people wrote about here -
basically my own fork of v4.2.3, and I'm now working to get my patches
compatible with v4.2.4 so as to get back to the main trunk. And it's a lot
of work, which I need to trade with my basic task - which is supporting
several customers we have on vTiger. I hope I will have my set of patches
(there might be up to 100 of them, as it's looking right now :) ready in a
week or so.

I belive we as vTiger Dev team should provide more support for 4.2.x
stream -> I guess that almost ALL of vTiger's "real world" users use that
right now. And they might go for v5 when it's stable, but that won't be
(in my experience) for at least 6 months after it's released.

If you want me, I'm here. Just give me a direction to start in, and I (and
my three colleagues here) can be reviewing submitted work in no time. And
discussing it with you the team here to get decissions on include/reject.

Matjaz Slak
matjaz.slak at atol.si

Atol d.o.o.  |  http://www.atol.si  |  tel. +386 1 510 15 30

"Sergio A. Kessler" <sergiokessler at gmail.com>
Sent by: vtigercrm-developers-bounces at lists.vtigercrm.com
13.07.2006 17:40
Please respond to
vtigercrm-developers at lists.vtigercrm.com

vtigercrm-developers at lists.vtigercrm.com
cc

Subject
Re: [Vtigercrm-developers] An Impassioned Plea from a VTiger    Integrator

On 7/13/06, Dennis Grant <dgrant at accuratetechnologies.com> wrote:
> > v4.x would not be abandoned while there is people interested in
> > maintaining it, that's all needed in open source, interested and
> > executive people...
> > it can be mantained forever while this condition is met...
>
> Yeah, but is it worth it?

well, up to you  ;-)
(I mean, up to the outside comunity, vtiger core team is heavely focused
en V5)

> BTW, who is the local Linus?

unfortunely, there is no local linus,
mike fedyk was doing a terrific job on maintaining v4, but then he
dissapeared,
and then Philip and Allan Bush were trying to help, but I imagine they
are in lack of time...

you can be the linus of v4 if you want...
it's a meritocracy (it's that spelled correctly ?)

> I agree - and the best way to do that is to be RESPONSIVE.

the problem is there is NO one that can respond about v4,
the core team is working full on v5...
and v4 has no Linus (at least with enough time)...

/sak
Get started with creating presentations online - http://zohoshow.com?vt