[Vtigercrm-developers] vtiger crm licence and debian package

Fathi BOUDRA fboudra at free.fr
Tue Jan 31 18:26:29 PST 2006

Talking about vtiger crm 5.x licence, as i understand, it will be released
under a LGPL license.

> Apache and Mysql are included in the binary distribution of vtiger but
> not in the source archive.

which binary version of vtiger ? vtiger isn't a binary apps (as you said no
comipilation, no linking), it's sources only.

when you distribute an open source software, you provide a copyright file that
talk about his licensing. There's no direct link between your software and
how you package/bundle it. legaly, you need to provide respective licenses of
software that you use.

In all cases, apache or mysql aren't components of vtiger crm, just components
of the easy setup for windows that we provide.

Finally, what we need to know about current vtiger crm (and probably next), is
what portion of code aren't contribution. who is original author and what
license was used in his code. vtiger code and contributions from people to
vtiger seems dual-licensed. is it legal ? is MPL compatible with some GPL
portion ?

i know, this is just an interpretation, but this is the lawyers way, and they
play wiith words.

cheers,

Fathi

PS: just a small note about MPL, according to some debian legal people
	MPL is a non-free license, so SPL and VPL as well.