[Vtigercrm-developers] Why not gforge (for the record!)

Mike Crowe mike at mikeandkellycrowe.com
Mon Jan 23 14:30:08 PST 2006

Sergio,

I didn't take it wrong.  I knew how you meant it!  :D

OK, I do want to address the "Why not gForge!" question.

First off, as most of us are part-timers on this project, or the time we
offer is.

Second, being the geek I am, I install stuff like this just to learn how
to do these things.

My home server was a test bed, and it is Gentoo based.  My laptop is
Ubuntu, kids machines are Mepis, and I've done the Suse,
Mandrake/Mandriva thing.  Overall, emerge beats apt/yum/urpmi and all
the other installation tools hands down.  Not to start a flame war, but
to explain:  All I had to do was:
    emerge gforge
and it was installed.  Then I got into the setup, and here's some points:

1)  gforge is not a cohesive program, as much as it is multiple (5-6)
different programs loosly glued together.
2)  Documentation is OK, but setup was extensive and very detailed.  It
was not a simple process at all.

After a couple of days, I gave up.  Folks, I don't give up easily.
Let's rephrase that as a time/benefit analysis was done (in my head) and
I decided to punt.

Surprisingly, there are not many "forges" out there.  However, you may
be seeing more and more of Novell forge, which is based on
myXoopsForge.  It had all the elements I was looking for:  MySQL
compatible, relatively easy to install, etc.

FWIW!
Mike