[Vtigercrm-developers] PostGres support

Tim Smith vtiger at timandjulie.com
Mon Jan 9 08:10:25 PST 2006

In a former product, we took the approach of using standard, simplified SQL
across the majority of SQL statements with macros/escaping to handle vendor
specific issues.

For example:
   Select a, b + c from tablex
Would become:
   Select a, b {@+@} c from tablex

{@+@} would be replaced with the vendor specific concatenation command.
(This was required for Oracle)  A centralized sql execution function would
determine the target database and replace macros before executing.

Using these macros, we handled differences in:
* String concatenation
* Date comparison
* Case sensitivity in queries
* Joins

In about 2% of our code, we required vendor specific optimizations or bug
work arounds.  These were the only kludges required.  Otherwise, macros
dealt with all differences.

Regards,
Tim

Onweald, Inc.