[Vtigercrm-developers] Receiving data from outside sources

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Feb 27 17:49:13 PST 2006

Dan Means wrote:

> This is a place that I've been working with clients on -- the idea of
> a CSV import is fine -- when you have a few hundred items to import,
> but not much more.

My post was really in response to two different topics and should be
looked at that way.

We have some parts where we don't even support import at all.  That is a
problem and CSV import is the first step in the right direction.

> As an example, we've had to create several timed scripts for a client,
> to feed information from an MSSQL based ERP (Accountmate) system into
> Vtiger -- and do a little synching also of things like inventory on
> hand etc. I gave up on the forums when basic questions like what is
> the use of the foreign key constraints went un-answered -- and my
> discovery -- they don't to anything presently.....

Which foreign keys?

> There's all sorts of limits and issuses messing with CSV data, size of
> upload files allowed etc.
>
> When you're dealing with thousands of accounts, thousands of products,
> hundreds of orders - you have to perform direct inserts into somewhere....

Our installation would only have maybe 100 records for demo data.  This
is an optimal use for CSV.

I agree that using CSV to interact with another system would not be a
good solution if there are a lot of records being transferred.

Mike