[Vtigercrm-developers] PDA and mobile phones synchronization

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Feb 27 02:49:43 PST 2006

Michel JACQUEMES wrote:

> Hope this mail is not out of topic in this mailing list but I would
> like to participate to “effort”ocracy with PDA sync implementation I
> have investigated last days.
>
> First of all, I read about SugarCRM connector developed by sync4j
> team. That looked fun and the nearest solution for vtiger. So I tested it.
>
> My opinion :
>
> - it is full Java and not easy to maintain for PHP developers (of
> course this was well knowned before).
>
> - Installation procedure is insufficiently documented, you have to do
> hard work to have it working
>
> - It needs a server software listening to its own port
>
> - available version is old and does not seem to be followed up
>
> - I have not been able to have my Nokia 6600 work with it and have not
> obtained any support on this bug. After doing a lot of google search I
> found that this phone is using a recent wbxml protocol implementation
> which is not supported.
>
> Conclusion : dead end.
>
> I found something which looks more promising, looking at Horde
> EGroupware template (http://www.horde.org/) which has a syncml full
> PHP implementation.
>
> - It supports both xml and wbxml protocols.
>
> - It works with Nokia 6600 (beta most recent release only)
>
> - It doesn’t need any server software, just need to be incorporated in
> user’s site
>
> - Installation is complicated due to Horde template prerequisites but
> documentation is good
>
> - Looking at the code, I think it could be disconnected from Horde
> template without not much efforts
>
> - Project looks active.

This looks interesting. Also there have been some ideas passed around of
using framework and horde came up in that conversation. That is outside
of the scope of this thread though...

> I know that a lot of work is being done about versions 4.2.4 and 5.0
> but I think that a lot of companies using CRM have sales teams along
> the road needing to stay connected to their planning or to get orders
> results from their CRM system. Wireless synchronization could be a
> great enhancement.
>
> Some questions :
>
> - How many people are interested?
>
> - What is the opinion of jurists regarding the use of part of Horde
> source and GNU Public License?
>
> - If there is no juridical obstacle, could we have a Sync branch in
> the forge and a team to work on this project?

Have you looked at OpenSync? I think any syncing should be done over an
open protocol and from what I understand OpenSync can do that.

http://www.opensync.org/

As far as a team is concerned, you're going to have to get it started
and then you will see if others join you.

Mike