[Vtigercrm-developers] Has anyone addressed this data overwriting issue?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Sat Feb 4 04:30:24 PST 2006

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

>--- Mike Fedyk <mfedyk at mikefedyk.com> wrote:
>

>>>Mike Crowe has a lot of adodb schema infrastructure that he wanted
>>>to get in.
>>>

>>I want to see this code.  I'm not familiar with adodb right now and if
>>there are bug reports we should be able to get this in if it isn't too
>>intrusive.
>>

>http://forums.vtiger.com/viewtopic.php?t=1439&highlight=adodb+schema
>
>Mike may have made more recent patches than this.

Crowe, can you give us an update on this issue?

>>>This meant that last committer on a given field wins, but if you didn't
>>>change a field in your form, you weren't going to write that column, or be
>>>affected if it changed while your recordset was open.
>>>

>>Yes, I was thinking about something just like this for vtiger.
>>

>I would consider any update behaviour beside that a bug, and a potentially
>dangerous one at that. Is it this way all over vtiger?

I think we should avoid the possibility of overwriting data that the
latest saver never even saw.

dkmeans on the forum has proposed "You could I suppose have 3 sets of
variables -- the "original" state, the "edited by me" state, and then
before you hit save, compare the "original" against the database for
anydatabases, and then alert the user -- This record was changed by user
X. Continue?"

I think this is a good way to go.  In the future 4.3.x tree we need a
way to show the data conflict and allow the user to resolve the conflict.

Fedyk