[Vtigercrm-developers] Bug fix for Outlook plug in error "Invalid return value from vTiger CRM"

Tim Smith smith.timsmith at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:52:39 PDT 2006

I just posted a bug fix for the Outlook plug in error "Invalid return value
from vTiger CRM" on the forum.
http://forums.vtiger.com/viewtopic.php?p=31365#31365

Vtiger doesn't have a middle name field and the bug occurred in trying to
parse the middle name out.  I would like to see the logic for determining
what a middle name is extracted from vtigerolservice.php and moved to the
outlook plug in.

Reasons:
1. Users are prevented from putting spaces in last names.
2. Middle name problems are specific to Outlook.
3. If it is decided that we should have middle names then add a middle name
field.

This is my proposed change:
1. Remove the support for "middlename" from vtigerolservice.php
2. Add a setting in the Outlook preference for where to store the middle
name.  There will be three selections.  "Do not store middle name", "Store
middle name in the First Name field", "Store middle name in the Last Name
field".

Though unrelated, I would also like to:

   1. Allow attaching emails to Leads and Opportunities.
   2. Create an install using Setup2Go or Installer2Go (
   http://www.dev4pc.com/) which is a free installation program.  This
   would allow anyone to create an install script.
   3. Launch a configuration UI at the end of the install process so the
   user will be prompted for their username/password/url.  Let this be
   defaulted through an ini file included in the install script.  Example:
   username=%windowslogin%; password=; url=
   http://www.mycompany.com/vtiger/
   4. Check if the plug in is loaded before uninstalling.
   5. Automatically connect to the vtiger server.  e.g. Don't require
   logging in first.  If they click on the contacts folder and click Sync, then
   attempt to login and tell them if there is a problem.

If we can get a consensus then I will make the changes.

Regards,
Tim