[Vtigercrm-developers] postgres support in v5

Richie richie at vtiger.com
Thu Apr 27 06:25:30 PDT 2006

Hello!

Agreed. We will support Postgres but we need help.
Here, we are working on the bug-fixes and are totally
swamped.
All hands welcome for Postgres support.

Richie

---- Jeff Kowalczyk<jtk at yahoo.com> wrote ----

  Richie wrote:
> I would like to know your views on supporting Postgres in vtiger CRM 5
> GA please.

I think there is consensus that postgresql support is important and that
someone would step up to provide it. Alternatives to mysql for different
reasons to different people: licensing, stability, management utilities,
integration with other apps already in other backends, etc.

But I'll suggest one reason that makes it an imperative to merge
postgresql support, as in right now, before tagging vtigercrm-5.0.0beta1:

 There is likely to be no reliable support for an end-user to migrate to
 another database backend once you start using vtigercrm in production.

Consider: is anyone preparing adodb migration code, or suggesting we rely
on mysql<->postgresql dumpfile translators, for something as complex as a
vtigercrm dataset that's been used in production on Mysql for several
months. How many relational tables is vtigercrm now?

Even if it can be coaxed from one dumpfile format to another, we don't
have automated testing to tell for certain if the data integrity is
preserved. One could conceivably go quite a while before noticing anything
wrong with a converted dataset.

I think that a sensible user will choose the database backend they prefer
at the beginning of a deployment, and stick with it. Therefore, vtigercrm
needs to support more backends sooner rather than later.